Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rain on my parade

5:53 am this morning my wheels hit the Boston pavement (and pot holes) and it was official: BOS 2 PDX has begun! Not without its sad moments though.
After three weeks of selling everything I wanted to sell in my apartment, my sisters driving to the bean and taking home some kitchen stuff and lots of clothes, the remaining items were to be packed on my motorbike for the first day of this trip. So wouldn't it be appropriate I learn just how much can fit on the first day.
I ran out of space on the bike. Which may seem obvious because you really can't fit that much to begin with. Its not like it has a trunk or a backseat (actually it does have a back seat but its very small). So what do when you've already sold, given away and  thrown out everything you no longer want and still have more than you can take with you? I certainly wasn't ready for what I ended up doing. I sat on my front steps this morning (4:30am) starring at a pile of stuff that wasn't making the list. For the first time I was angry. Legit, punch the wall, angry. Suits, shoes, picture frames (i saved the pics at least), favourite t-shirts all those small things that seem to fill any empty room you live in and make it feel like home were gone. Metaphorical speaking that glossy black 25 gallon Glad bag weighed a ton. It was all I could do to move it and the sound of the bag hitting the empty trash can bottom still echos in my head with that emtpy hollow "thud" that rings so synonymously with anything that once had life and is now left for dead. Remind me to rent a car next time...
I was a little worried my bike would handle funny with all the additional weight loaded on to it's frame. I'll spare you the details of how exactly it all fit (pic to be uploaded) but after about 20 mins on the highway I started cruising. I was actually worried I might just fall asleep. After staying up until 1:30am to pack and then dealing with a sore throat and solidly fused shut nasal passage from my head cold my "rest" was anything but satisfying. All was good though. I sat there. The motorcycle ran along the road like a marshmallow on wheels and I could count on the rain and mid 50's temp to keep me awake. I had music on the entire way, really just as a background sound though. Sometimes if my music is too loud I'm not easily able to tune it out in case I have a thought I actually want to listen to.
Arrived home around 1:30pm after a few stops for snacks and a coffee or three. Nothing could have slowed me down the last 50 miles. The pending excitement of being home was just too much. I'm not going to admit I had the speedo dancing around 85-90 for that last bit, well guess I just did, oops!

Time for some shut eye. Tomorrow comes with some house cleaning, organizing and hopefully some sunshine :-)

Just a few days until I take off for the rest if the trip!


So here is the rest of the stuff before I packed...














Here is everything all packed up!













The bike fully loaded. I guess you could call this the parting shot...














This is the view Boston saw this morning. Nothing but taillights! 

No comments:

Post a Comment