Friday, October 7, 2011

Big Meadows campground, Skyline Drive

Its 5:35am. There is something munching on twigs and leafy things outside my tent. I'm pretty sure its a deer. In fact it took a few big deep sniffs and it sounded more like a horse than a bear. Of course I've never actually heard a bear sniff in the woods. I also think its a deer because its hoofs make sharp sounds against all the fall debris on the forest floor. Something with a big padded foot (like a bear) would be a bit softer. I think I've been up all night listening to critters frolic in my front yard. At one point I had to cover my ears it was just too loud. The deer hear are super friendly. I ate dinner and there was a small doe about 25 feet from me eating some vegetation. Overall it was a "get back in touch with nature" and "o man what's going to attack me?" kind of night. I will say my sleeping bag was very comfy! Almost too warm actually. Its rated for 0 degrees and I dont it even touched that, maybe 45 even given I'm at around 3300 feet in elevation.

Yesterday was a fun day. The roads were as if some one looked down at there plate of spaghetti and said "OK I'm going to make a road that looks like that one noodle there and just follow it all over the plate." Great for motorcycles but bad for a motorcycle behind a camper. Those things are so slow! Like cyclists or something (only cyclists can make fun of cyclists for being in the way). No worries though. I pulled out my patience playing card and just chilled out. I'm not in a hurry anyway...

Just heard a loud bang and a bunch of quick foot steps. Yea, there is no way I'm falling back asleep now. Looking forward to breakfast anyway. I'm starving!

So some of you may wonder how I'm staying connected on this trip. Well I'm actually relying quite heavily on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S) to do my blog updates, FB, and G +. I can actually compose an email and send it to my blog and it will post my new post (sorry, for the reiteration, couldn't think of another set of words).

Alright its amlost 6am now and I'm ready to start doing my thing. First though I need to some clothes before I crawl out of this sleeping bag.

One more thought. I killed a squirrel today. I felt really bad. It was on route 675 East going through the George Washington State Forest. I slowed down to a walking pace and the darn little guy was so confused he ran right under my wheels. RIP little guy...

Finally hit some cell service! Going to post this and mange some teaser pics!

2 comments:

  1. Poor squirrel was squirreling huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, poor little guy. Here I am just trying to enjoy nature and its wildlife and I end up killing parts of it. Sad :-(

    ReplyDelete