Monday, October 24, 2011

Picture Catch Up

Lots of pics to upload today and get caught up on.


So I was going to take this route 14 in Utah across to Zion National Park but the road was closed due to a rock slide. So just hung out before the road closed signs and grabbed a few pics.



Despite the road really being closed I really wanted to have a go at it but I used my better judgement and turned around. I ended up talking to a guy at a local motorcycle shop and he gave me an alternative route to check out.






After driving about 45 mins in the wrong direction I was finally able to start heading towards Zion again. This route would take me past Brian's Head, a big ski area in Utah and eventually to the park on all back roads. 

This i s the road that leads you past all the ski resort areas and cabins for rent. Also passed a few spots designated for putting on chains. Thankfully I wouldn't be needing any of that nonsense.

After driving along and comparing my map with my surroundings I was pretty much on point for figuring out I was very near Brian's Head. In fact just up the road I would find a dirt road with a sign that said "Brian's Head - 3 Miles" with an arrow pointing to a dirt road. So off I was!



It was so quiet up here. Nobody around.

Life at the top of Brian's Head.








On the way back down I had to grab a pic of these dead trees just frozen in time.



After making my way down from Brian's Head and then back on the road I came across a few points to take in this canyon. I haven't a clue what the name of this place is. It will be one of those things I check out after my trip.









Finally to Zion National Park. I'm glad I came in from the top and not from the bottom. The traffic from the other way was crazy.



Blasting through one of the long tunnels dug through the rock. I wish this one came with sound!














After Zion it was time to hit the road. After a few hours I ended up staying at Quail Creek State Park (from an earlier post).


The next day would be all highway miles as it was time to get a move on get to Cali already. I would be taking 15 South and passing Las Vegas, the Majave Dessert and then LA.

The Majave Dessert was hot! Probably not hot by desert terms but 98 degrees was enough for me. The first pic below is the area along the highway where you can see just part of the Majave National Dessert. The second pic is the temp readout on my bike. Warm indeed. 

 



Finally it was time for some dinner and I couldn't pass up eating at the Cali famous "Jack In the Box." All in all it wasn't that bad. Way better than  big arches! I'd be on the road again though and making my way towards Calabasas. Where I still am today waiting for a new front tire for my bike. Should be here Wednesday and then hopefully I can install it then and be on the Pacific Coast Highway for the final leg of my trip. I'm really enjoying just hanging out though. Albeit all the road adrenaline has worn off and know I just feel like I need a nap every few hours. I was able to get in a nice road ride (bicycles!) and seeing the area from a bicycle was great. Nothing like Alp like climbs and beautiful weather to set the scene for my introduction to California.

1 comment:

  1. hey brandon...this is pat's buddy mike, we met out in watkins glen in july.

    i read your entire blog over the last few days...looks like a helluva trip! lookin forward to reading the rest

    ReplyDelete