Sunday, October 16, 2011

 Ok, lots to catch up on here. I'm actually going to jump all the way back to the Big Texan in Amarillo, TX. Finally had the bike unloaded and was ready to go eat some dinner.

The next morning, early morning, watching the sun coming up on over the very flat horizon. The contrast to what I was about to witness in Colorado would be huge! 


All my gear on the extra bed. I actually ended up sending some stuff home tonight from Boulder. I later figured if I hadn't used it or worn it yet its not going to get worn. So tonight while I was in Boulder (this pic is from TX not to confuse anyone) I send some gear home via Fed-Ex. Mom and dad watch out for it! 

The Big Texan Motel. 


Riding up 287 North towards the bottom of Colorado. No sign of any mountain yet. 

Cross the "pan handle" of Oklahoma. Nothing but flat, dry and hot. It was touching 90 degrees. 


Found one tree to stop under and take a few minute break. This was the last tree I saw for awhile. 



This is a pic of the train that was coming down along side the highway. I just missed the engine (its about 15 cars forward) and this is the rest of it. It just keeps going and going and going...


Sort of like the roads here. Flat and straight. I was either wishing I was on a sport bike (Lenny this is all you!) or glad I wasn't. Not sure I could have kept my speed in check. 


They are doing construction on the highway and I sat here for about 10 minutes while the other direction was going through. I did get lots of thumbs up from all the construction guys!  


Still taking baking in the warmth of the Oklahoma pan handle. 




 Got beef? These guys sure did. A lot of it too! 

Surprisingly the smell wasn't bad at all but you should be glad this isn't a scratch and sniff. 


Getting into the bottom of Colorado. Going to Springfield, CO and up to Lamar. 

Just stopped to grab a pic or two by a huge rail yard. No trains in sight but there were lots of tracks. 



Still on Route 50 heading East. 



Who is this guy next to me! 



After blasting across 50 and then catching 40N to CO Springs it was time for bed at the Cheyenne Mountain State Park. 




Finally! The mountains! 


Spotted some wildlife...











Here are few pics from my tent as the sun was coming up.







How cool is this. The sun coming up behind me and the moon still hanging high in the sky. I took this moment for a few photo opportunities. 





No, you are not looking at a blue piece of construction paper with a hole in it held up to the light. That's moon, just floating in the big blue sky. 


Breakfast was up next. Serving some GO Lean oatmeal and green tea. I was taking a look at the moon pics and thought it might be good to grab something in the foreground for some perspective.




Finally found some tiny mountains to look at. Some where back there is Pikes Peak. Just tiny mountains you know :-) 



That's not so big, I got this...

Holy crap! No guide rails, 30-40mph winds and snow! I was just trying to keep focused on the road and keep my wits about me. Suddenly this was all starting to feel very real. I didn't stop for many pics on the way up. Figured it would best to get to the top while the weather was still good and then go for some pics along the way down. So below are a few pics from the way up but I'll have more from the way down. The pics below would seem like they are from the top but not yet...






Almost to the top or so it felt. This was along mile 11 of the Pikes Peak autoroad. I hit snow at about 10,500 feet. 

Finally the top! I started at 58 degrees and ended at 33 degrees! My bike has an idiot light that comes on when the temp gets within 5 degrees of freezing to remind you its not a snowmobile. 


Here's me looking at you from 14,100 feet!  Well 14,106 feet if you include my height :-)


Pikes Peak. Its official! 


Then the oxygen deprivation set in and it was time to sit down. Not really but the feeling of being that high in the atmosphere just feels weird. Its like your body is telling you before you even know it that this isn't normal. Below are a few views from the top.








Then it was time to descend the road down. Lots of tight switch backs and a very curvy road ahead.  



Here you can see the road curving its way down the mountain side. 

That's crystal lake which I passed on the way up to the top. 









And that's the bottom. That's it. Pikes Peak is now a memory. The views at the top couldn't compare to the views on the way down so I didn't take many pics on the way down as I thought I would. Next time I'll take the pics on the way up so I don't feel spoiled and pass up the pics on the way down.



Next it was off to Boulder (where I am now) and on the way (Route 36 West from Denver) I stopped to take in a view. Not sure if you just get used to living around the mountains and seeing them all the time or not but I think my first few months living out (hypothetically speaking of course) I'd be stopping to take pictures all the time.




Look! A pic of my motorcycle and more mountains! I wonder how many readers are getting sick of seeing my motorcycle, haha. 


No doubt when of my most favourite pictures. The clouds with the mountains in th background was just amazing. I didn't even need to drive up Pikes Peak this was just along a normal highway! 

Same location just zoomed in on the mountains this time. Well I'm finally in Boulder hanging out at a Best Western. I had some good pub food at the place next door, hit up REI and like I mentioned before walked to a Fed-Ex to send some stuff home. I even did some laundry! The first time on this trip actually, eek! Glad I'm not a smelly person. The key with underwear is two wear it normal front ways, normal backwards, inside out normal front ways and then inside out backwards. One pair four days, that's how its done. A little tip from the xcountrybrandon blog :-) Ok seriously though, I don't do that but it could work no? So the route I planned on taking tomorrow has a good chance of snow. I was going to take 70W to 91S to 82W and head through Aspen. In fact they are calling for snow even if I take 70W towards Utah. I may end up staying a second night Boulder...

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely amazing. Yeah, those Oklahoma highways would have been a problem, but Pikes peak just looks like a ridiculous good time.

    ReplyDelete