Thursday, October 20, 2011

110 miles with no services and Utah


Interstate 70 is a pretty unique section of highway. For one it has the longest point between exists with no services: 110 miles. Let me tell you its nothing but about 3 exists and when you get off there is nothing to the left or right. An adventurous feeling I suppose. I was eventually greeted to following the Colorado River along the highway for awhile. The Amtrak runs along the other side of the river.






It was back on the road and eventually Utah awaited. I was actually really aw struck when I started traveling through Utah. I was so looking forward to Colorado and seeing some real mountains that I think I forgot about Utah the vast beauty that seems to grow out of the ground in the most wildest rock shapes. Some of them look like sleeping dinosaurs.





A celebratory arm raise! This trip is really taking shape and I can't believe how far I've gone.





Just hopped of route 70 and onto 128 towards Moab, UT. This was going to be one lonely ride into Moab. There was nobody around. I just parked my bike in the middle of the road and starred into the distance.



I was just able to catch some of these ancient shapes as the sun was going down.   I ended up getting into Moab around 9 and then grabbed a campsite at a KOA just off of route 119 South. Nothing fancy and no amazing views but I was to just pull off, setup my tent and get to sleep. It was amazing how dark it was and the views of the stars is something you'd have to witness in person  to actually allow your brain to process the scene. After cruising down the man drag in Moab I spotted a couple of gear stores that I wanted to check out the next morning. I've been hunting for a better way to strap down  my duffle bag as it has a tendency to shift if I don't keep an I on it. Something I would latter find out when I headed off road on some jeep trails.




Arches National Park. Scoring a park pass has been the best thing yet. I just scoot in, take pics, and then blast off when I feel like I've seen enough. I think I'm getting spoiled though. I've been able to see some of the most amazing views along the way. Also been on some really great roads surfaces. I mean roads that were smooth, had great flow from corner to corner and provided great traction. I really haven't gotten over the Blue Ridge Parkway as far as roads that are amazing to drive on. Especially with a motorcycle. The roads there where by far the most confident inspiring and provided great flow from corner to corner. To understand cornering with a motorcycle you really have to break down a bunch of physics that I'm not well versed in. I do know though that accelerating (even slightly) makes the bike feel so much better then just coasting or far worse riding the brakes way to deep and trying to turn in at the same time (a big time no no, my friend Warren alsways said "a rolling well is a happy wheel" another words no brakes!).  Alright back to Utah and Arches National Park.










After blasting through Arches park it was back to 119 North to 70 West and then to 24 South. I was rolling along on 24 and found a couple of dirt roads that I thought would make for some great photography (and a little tail sliding fun). I pretty much figured that a 600 pound bike with road going tires was going to be a handful (its way more fun with no luggage, I mean wheelie fun!). Here are a few pics and if I ever decide to serious about riding off-road I think Utah would have to be a must be place. There are so many areas set aside for off road riding its amazing. I would just be riding along on the road and see dust trails a few miles off the road and guys flying along on dirt bikes, quad bikes, jeeps, small buggies and whatever else you can think off.




So after riding out about a 1/2 mile it was time to turn around head back. This is a good time to remind my readers that motorcycles handle different in sand. No, its not like mud, I've ridden in slick mud. This was no mud. Its sand and its soft and after popping off a small 2 foot lip I quickly found all my luggage under me and no where to go when I had to shift my weight back to get up the other side. You can see the photo to the left there is a big mess of distributed dirt. That would be my soil sample. After plowing into the face of the other side of the lip and hanging on for a few feet with whatever talent I thought I had it was over. The front plowed into deep sand (my luggage still flying around) and I came to stop in a small dust cloud. A minor bang up to the right front turn signal and a broken fog light was the only result. I picked up the bike, got out my tool kit, fixed the turn signal, zip tied up the light and it was back on the road.



Just cross checking the dirt road on the map to the dirt road. Yep, they are both there. I had to walk about 20 feet to grab my map out of the sandy stuff.









As i mentioned in a previous post I completely missed route 19 and ended up making a big u shape line on a map. No worries though. I just headed back to 70 West via 24W to 119W. This turned out to be a great road with fantastic views. So no sad face for me other than the feeling of being off track. But hey, the only agenda I have is mine and I can break it if I want to.




Just chasing my shadow on 119.



Welcome to Richfield, Utah. It was time for a pizza and then off onto route 70 West towards Interstate 15 South towards Vegas. I'd be stopping much sooner than Vegas though. More like Beaver, Utah.

So here is how to park a motorcycle. You don't need kickstands. They are over used and under appreciated. I just pulled up and with a smooth graceful motion that normally results in my left heel of my boot catching the corner of the stand resulting in "nothing but air." As I leaned over it just kept going. She and I were both ready for sleep. No damage done and I embarrassingly asked some guys in the lobby for help. The four of us picked it right up. In fact they lifted it so quickly it almost over the other way.  

1 comment:

  1. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Arches could be the perfect place to take the dirt triple. Bring on the sand!

    ReplyDelete