Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Smokey Mountains and 790 miles home to Williamsport, PA


Just outside of ATL on 20 East heading towards Cumming, GA. I'm still messing around with the shutter speed setting when I get bored with the usual still shots. I spent a few days with the Reids and then headed out. 

This is the start of the 60 North from GA 400. 


Awhile went by before I started snagging any more photos including a gas station stop and rain. Funny how I get on to twisty roads and I just forget about what's around me and focus on riding. I literally have to force myself to look or at least stop. Probably regret that the most on the Pacific Coast Highway. I ripped up that heading North and hardly stopped for anything when I should have really been taking in the sights. Below are some pictures of the Smokey Mountains. This is a parkway that ran east from Tellico Plains, TN called the Cherohala Parkway. 



As  you can see it was a bit wet at 4,500 or so feet. It seemed that anything below 1,500 was pretty dry that day. 







These are not opening scenes from Swamp Thing. Just a few shots of little place (the name is above on the sign) that I decided to make into a lunch destination. 



I couldn't resist just doing a few miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway again on my way so I spent about 40 mins  just bombing along until I hit highway 19 North. 


I love blasting through the tunnels. Something about the sound just makes it really cool. This actually reminds of something Allen told me while we are lunch at the Rooster in Oregon. He said its three things about riding "sound, vibration, and the wind" that just doesn't compare to anything else. (I hope I quoted him correctly, it feels ages since I've been back to Medford, OR). 


Then onto what is now being called Future Interstate 26 North. 



I kept reminding myself all day to snag a picture when I hit 30,000 miles on my bikes odometer. Well I totally forgot and at 30,017 I remembered and managed to snag one picture. 


This is from a rest stop along 26 where you could stop and take in the view. Little did I know I'd be doing another 600 miles after I stopped here. Turned out I'd be doing very close to 790 miles for the day once I had arrived in Cogan Station, PA. That kind of mileage didn't seem all that hard to do but it was also the last day of  my trip so I felt inclined to stop anywhere I had the feeling to be motionless so I did. This really ate into my ability to cover distance but hey it was up to me and all I wanted to do was "passe le temps" or just passe the time away with no real rush. Later I'd be on Route 15 North in a wet drizzle and fog going what time is it and why am I hear? I'll never forgot getting a coffee at a gas station and chatting with a guy that popped in for the same and when we parted he said "well I'm off to work." Looking at my watch it was nearly 5:30AM! 



Finally arriving home I pushed the bike into the garage and then called it a night. I didn't bother to unpack today and there is still stuff in the panniers that needs to get pulled out. A few things I'd like to cover before I wrap up this blog is a)total mileage and gas stats and b)a gear review. 

Look for both of those in the next few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment