Monday, November 7, 2011

Back to Medford

Well after sitting on my bike and just thinking for a few hours I arrived at a rest stop just north of Medford, OR. Calling 511 to check on road conditions passing Sisikyou summit. Snow flurries and patches of ice was not what I was hoping to hear. Today the weather is looking better and by 10am or so the weather should be warm enough that any patches of ice should have dried out. After grabbing breakfast I already spoke to some people who came from that way last night and they said the roads are dry and it should not be an issue. Sisikyou pass is about 4,000 feet not all that high but given that snow level is now around 2,000 feet I'm sure it will be chilly. Its already 38 degrees in Medford so given what meteorologists call "lapse rate" in general for every 1,000 feet in elevation the temperature drops 3.5 degrees. Of course other factors effect this generalization but its nice to have this in my head to do some mental math on the road.

Leaving Portland, OR I was feeling good. I had finally completed my goal of going "BOS 2 PDX" but it wasn't without a feeling of "why of I am leaving again?" As someone who really has the opportunity to move I can't help but think what a few weeks, a month, or a year would feel like living on the west coast. I suppose I can think about this on the way home.

So far its been an amazing trip. I'm not sure I've learned anything new about life but there is greater feeling of being connected to the country you live in when you see so  much of it all of once. I'm really fascinated with how I've remembered what I've been through already. My mind can't seem to recall certain places I ate, campsites I've stayed but I call sections of road, views from the side of the road and people I've met along the way.

I'm going to check in to the local moto dealer here in Medford. Hansen's Motorcycles did a great job when my bike was dropped of at 3am about a week ago with a fuel pressure pump controller that failed and left me sitting in the Redwood National Park. So I'm going to check in and see what we can do about an oil change. I'm due for some fresh fluids in the motor and the clutch is also getting soft again. I think it just needs some fresh fluid but I've also read that there is a small part that can develop a leak which may need replaced. I think its the slave cylinder that develops the leak but we'll see.

Alright its time to rock and roll on with this trip :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment